Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Mendeley's file organizer can automatically rename your PDFs and file them in a clear folder structure, making it easier to find your files outside of Mendeley. Open Mendeley's File Organizer which can be found under Tools > Options.
In the tab, you can select:
- Organize my files: to make a copy of all documents added to Mendeley within one folder
- Sort files into subfolders: to create a folder structure based on selected document details
- Rename document files: to rename the often non-descriptive names of your PDFs to file names that are more meaningful, including the author, journal, year, and title
1. To organize your references, use folders. Click on Create Folder… to create a new folder, give it a name, and hit Return.
2. Drag references from the center column on to the Folder to add them.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.